last night i went out with two of my ex’s. we saw bob dylan. he was amazing.
not only is he older than the hills, but hes got more class and more style than everyone in hollywood combined.
he only addressed the crowd once.
“well, hello, friends.” i believe he said, near the end of the first set.
his voice is strong, his pace is swift, and for fun he has decided to lead the band via the organ.
and when he wanted to belt out solos he did so via his trusty harmonica.
it was a dance party, friends.
we came for the poet laureate of rock, but we ended up dancing to the most unlikely of songs. and judging from Dylan’s smile from behind the keys, it was all in his plan.
annoying people dressed as hippies roamed the crowd, twirling, but the headliner had already been there and done that. these were modern times. he was there to rock, he was there to sing, and he was there to play that harp.
the results were contemporary. even the finale of “all along the watchtower” was re-arranged in such a way that it could easily be placed on one of those greatest hits packages and renamed like how the police foolishly did with “Don’t Stand So Close to Me ’86”.
dylan has always reworked his tunes live and we were all kept on our toes throughout the night, but mostly we danced.
afterwards we ate tacos and spoke of love.
it was beautiful, and if you are in LA you should go go go to the show tonight and or tomorrow at the palladium cuz the kids just dont rock like this and youd never ever know that bro is 68. hes got more inside of him now than most have at half his age.
randy lewis here at the times wrote a beautiful portrait of last night’s concert that sums it up in a more professional way.
1. Gonna Change My Way Of Thinking (Bob keys, Donnie lap steel)
2. Shooting Star (Bob center, harp)
3. Beyond Here Lies Nothin’ (Bob center, harp)
4. Dont Think Twice, Its All Right (Bob guitar)
5. Cold Irons Bound (Bob center, harp)
6. Most Likely You’ll Go Your Way (And I’ll Go Mine) (Bob keys)
7. My Wife’s Hometown (Bob guitar)
8. Stuck Inside Of Mobile W/ The Memphis Blues Again
9. High Water (For Charley Patton) (Bob guitar)
10. I Feel A Change Comin On (Bob Keys)
11. Highway 61 Revisited (Donnie lap steel)
12. Nettie Moore
13. Thunder On The Mountain
14. Ballad Of A Thin Man (Bob center, harp)
15. Like A Rolling Stone
17. All Along The Watchtower
setlist via expectingrain
photo of the marquee of the palladium by bronwynlewis